A'Lelia Bundles Community Scholars Application Information
Applications for the A'Lelia Bundles Community Scholars Program are not currently open. Please check back in early 2022 for information about applications for the next cohort.
- You must be a Borough of Manhattan resident living north of 96th Street
- You cannot have a current affiliation with Columbia University
- You must have a high school diploma, GED/TASC, or explanation of equivalent experience
Application Content and Format
Please follow the following guidelines when submitting your application.
- 11 or 12 point font
- Normal margins (top 1”; bottom 1”; left 1”; right 1”)
- Numbered – bottom of page
Applications submitted must include the information noted below and be submitted in order.
1-2 pages describing your educational and/or professional background.
1-2 pages describing the project you propose to pursue. Please include:
- Your anticipated goals and outcomes
- University resources you would like to access (i.e. courses to audit, library, etc.)
- A brief statement on how your project might be of benefit or interest to the larger community
Please provide the following information to verify your eligibility and support your application.
- Résumé, or Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of your High School transcript, GED/TASC, OR explanation of equivalent experience. (Required if no college transcript is submitted)
- Copy of transcripts from any college or university work, if applicable. (If you are submitting a transcript from an accredited university, you may omit your high school transcript)
Note: If accepted into the program, official transcripts and proof of residency will be required.
Provide 2 letters of reference (may be from a current or former employer, community leader, teacher, professor, colleague, or eminent person in your field of study). These can be submitted with your application or separately. If the letters will be submitted separately, please make a note of that on your application.
Letters can be submitted with your application or emailed to [email protected]. Please reference the A'Lelia Bundles Community Scholars Program and the name of the applicant in your email subject line.
Other supporting materials you would like to have considered as a part of your application, such as a work sample, writing samples of up to 2 pages, or audio or videotape samples of up to 5 minutes. Materials cannot be returned.
If you have supplemental materials that cannot be submitted digitally, please reach out to Maggie Barrows.
How to Apply
Please submit all required and supplemental documents online via this form.
If your application cannot be submitted online, please contact Maggie Barrows to make arrangements for submission.
Applications for the 9th cohort of A'Lelia Bundles Community Scholars close on April 30, 2021, at 5:00 PM.
- This program does not lead to course credit, a degree or certification.
- All instruction in classes is conducted in English unless otherwise noted in course descriptions.
- Admission to A'Lelia Bundles Community Scholars Program is conditional upon proof of northern Borough of Manhattan residency.
- Although terms are stated as 3 years, individual scholars may opt to complete the program in less time; continued enrollment depends upon continued compliance with all program requirements and University regulations.
Please direct inquiries about the A'Lelia Bundles Community Scholars Program to (212) 854-2568 or [email protected].