A'Lelia Bundles Community Scholars Application Information
The application period for the 8th cohort of A'Lelia Bundles Community Scholars has ended. Applications are not currently being accepted.
- You must be a Borough of Manhattan resident living north of 96th Street
- You cannot have a current affiliation with Columbia University
- You must have a high school diploma, GED/TASC, or explanation of equivalent experience
Application Content and Format
Please follow the following guidelines when submitting your application.
- 11 or 12 point font
- Normal margins (top 1”; bottom 1”; left 1”; right 1”)
- Numbered – bottom of page
Applications submitted must include the information noted below and be submitted in order.
1-2 pages describing your educational and/or professional background.
1-2 pages describing the project you propose to pursue. Please include:
- Your anticipated goals and outcomes
- University resources you would like to access (i.e. courses to audit, library, etc.)
- A brief statement on how your project might be of benefit or interest to the larger community
Please provide the following information to verify your eligibility and support your application.
- Résumé, or Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of your High School transcript, GED/TASC, OR explanation of equivalent experience. (Required if no college transcript is submitted)
- Copy of transcripts from any college or university work, if applicable. (If you are submitting a transcript from an accredited university, you may omit your high school transcript)
Note: If accepted into the program, official transcripts and proof of residency will be required.
Provide 2 letters of reference (may be from a current or former employer, community leader, teacher, professor, colleague, or eminent person in your field of study). These can be submitted with your application or separately. If the letters will be submitted separately, please make a note of that on your application.
Letters can be submitted with your application or emailed to email@example.com. Please reference the A'Lelia Bundles Community Scholars Program and the name of the applicant in your email subject line.
Other supporting materials you would like to have considered as a part of your application: work sample, writing samples of up to 2 pages, audio or videotape. Materials cannot be returned.
If you have supplemental materials that cannot be submitted digitally, please reach out to Maggie Barrows.
How to Apply
Applications are not currently open for the A'Lelia Bundles Community Scholars Program at Columbia University.
Please submit all documents via this form.
UPDATE: As a result of the coronavirus pandemic, hand or mail delivery of A'Lelia Bundles Community Scholars applications is not currently available. If you cannot submit your application online, please reach out to Maggie Barrows.
Compile your application into one package and drop off to our offices between the hours of 10:00AM and 4:00PM. If you hand deliver your application, please sign and complete the cover page and include it as the first page of your application.
Materials cannot be returned.
A'Lelia Bundles Community Scholars Program
Office of Government & Community Affairs
309 Low Library
535 West 116th Street
New York, NY 10027
- This program does not lead to course credit, a degree or certification.
- All instruction in classes is conducted in English unless otherwise noted in course descriptions.
- Admission to A'Lelia Bundles Community Scholars Program is conditional upon proof of northern Borough of Manhattan residency.
- Although terms are stated as 3 years, individual scholars may opt to complete the program in less time; continued enrollment depends upon continued compliance with all program requirements and University regulations.
Please direct inquiries about the A'Lelia Bundles Community Scholars Program to (212) 854-2568 or firstname.lastname@example.org.