Columbia Community Service traces its roots back to World War II, when Columbia librarian Isadore Gilbert Mudge joined with two of her friends to raise funds for charitable causes. The group grew into the Columbia Committee for Community Service, and in November 1947, they sent a letter to all Columbia faculty and staff asking for contributions. Today, we honor that tradition by asking the faculty and staff of Columbia, Barnard, and Teachers College to support organizations that are doing vital work with our neighbors in Upper Manhattan.
CCS supports 60 local community organizations ranging from youth art programs and sports leagues, to sustainable development initiatives and hunger relief organizations. The programs we support provide services that help our neediest neighbors at every stage of their lives, an effort made possible through the generosity of employees and retirees from all corners of Columbia University, Barnard College, and Teachers College.
Last year, we raised over $330,000 with the help of more than 1,300 employees. Please help us make this a year of record fundraising. For more information or to make a contribution, please visit the Columbia Community Service website.